Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Airlines Special Meals

-- Updated 16-May-2018 --

See my other post about airlines meals  (updated 5-Sep-2018)

 If you travel to certain route quite frequently, you will find out that you may get bored with the normal meal as it tends to be "similar" and perhaps they change the meat (from pork to beef to chicken to fish) but with pretty much same style. If you get sick and tired of normal meal, you may want to venture into special meals. Typically people will choose Seafood meal, but again, you can pretty much predict what you get on Seafood meal. It is mostly either mesh potatoes / spaghetti with creamy sauce with seafood. Again, you may get scallops and prawn this time and cod fish or dory the next time, but it is pretty much same style of cooking. Recently I decided to opt for Moslem meal; with I found it quite interesting and nice. I will try to update this page to show the different Moslem meal that served. Perhaps soon, I will venture into Non-Veg Hindu special meal also. Enjoy!!!

SQ002, SIN - HKG, 25-Sep-2013, Dinner.


Muslim Meal.  I believe the meat is mutton (rather than beef).  The carbo part interestingly is not rice (as per expected) but rather mesh potatoe.  The intersting thing, the sauce in the mutton is not really rendang/curry, I cannot really tell what it is, but it is nice.


SQ861, HKG - SIN, 29-Sep-2013, Dinner.


Muslim Meal. I read someone mentioned that SQ Muslim Meal ex-SIN is the nicest.  So I do not expect much for the catering ex-HKG.  But actually the food is not that bad.  But it is rather like Indian food.  The rice is like briyani rice but white in color and the meat is mutton curry.  Not as nice as ex-SIN but still good.


SQ866, SIN - HKG, 3-Nov-2013, Lunch.


Muslim Meal.  Looks very similar to my dinner on SQ002.  It seems not much variation like people said.  But I like the side dish.  Prawn salad with Thai chilly dressing.  Not so fancy about the mutton, although it is not bad.




SQ865, HKG - SIN, 5-Nov-2013, Dinner.




Hindu Non-Veg Meal.  As some one said the Hindu Non-Veg meal is quite nice, I tried to venture into it.  Well, I do not really like the side dish.  It is a chicken cube with some herb.  The chicken is very dry.    The main dish is almost similar to the muslim meal I had before ex-HKG but the veg is spinach which is nice and you get extra naan.

Overall not so fancy about the Hindu Non-Veg for now.


SQ866, SIN - HKG, 18-Nov-2013, Lunch



Seafood Meal.  Forget to change my default meal from Seafood meal to something else.   The side dish is Tuna salad (I still prefer prawn salad with Thai sauce which normally provided in Moslem meal).  Main dish.   Some fish (cod fish?) with kind of sauces and potatoes and brocollies and pumpkins?  The fish is as bit too dry in my opinion.   My special meal came only after every one else got their own meal.  Not sure what went wrong.  The water also came still have some ice.  I guess they put the trey in the freezer?


SQ871, HKG - SIN, 20-Nov-2013, Dinner



Moslem meal.  The side dish is a slides of salmon salad.  there is only 1 slice of salmon.  The main dish is Lamb meat with kind of rendang (but not spicy) sauce and sweet potatoes and some veggies.   Not really nice.   Lucky I have already had the wanton soup and laksa in the lounge earlier.


TG404, SIN-BKK, 9-April-2014, Lunch
TG606, BKK-HKG, 9-April-2014, Dinner



Seafood meal.   No, I did not make a typo on the title.  They served exactly the same meal on both flight.  Indeed, I think all Seafood meal ex-BKK you will probably the same stuff as this pictures.  I saw the same meal on my SIN-BKK-SIN late March-2014.  It seems SIN-BKK meal is also ex-SIN


TG639, HKG-BKK-HKG, 11-April-2014, Dinner


Seafood meal.   I almost decline the special meal that I reserved when the FA confirmed my special meal as I was afraid to see the same stuff again.  interesting, TG is actually get the catering ex-HKG.   Well it does not seems any better.   I really do not know what it was.  It tastes something like fried prawn paste.  The rice was also more like risotto type rather than Asian rice.



TG401, BKK-SIN-BKK, 14-April-2014, Dinner


Songkran meal.  This is a truly special meal.  It was Songkran special served by TG, I think 15-days since Songkran.   The meal is chicken with some sauce.  It is quite nice. There was a white chocolate withy Happy Songkran on the top of banana cake.



SQ866, SIN - HKG, 27-May-2014, Lunch




Moslem meal.   The worst Moslem meal that I ever had ex-SIN.   The salad was not bad.  The main course is really bad.  It was chicken breast in tomatoes sauce and spaghetti.  The spaghetti was so dry that I cannot eat.  The sauce is too little and the chicken is too dry.   The dessert is nice thought.



SQ871, HKG - SIN, 29-May-2014, Dinner






Seafood meal.  The meal is ex-HKG.  A typical seafood pasta with creamy sauce.  The pasta is very dried.  The appetizer is quite nice slice Tuna.   One of the worst meal.   I am not sure why the Seafood meal cannot come in Asian flavor.


TG410, SIN - BKK, 29-Jan-2015, Dinner






Standard seafood meal by TG.  Fish with tomatoes sauces and potatoes and veggie


TG4107 KUL - BKK, 13-Mar-2015, Dinner



Exactly the same meal as TG410 on 29-Jan.   This is very standard seafood meal from BKK catering.




TK69, BKK - IST, 1-Nov-2015, Supper/Breakfast

I was quite reluctent to order seafood meal, as most of the time I will get somekind of seafood in white creamy sauce.   So I called TK Office in Singapore and only requested the Seafood meal for my outbound flights.




I am not sure why there are 2 appetizerd but both are quite nice.   When I open the wrap, again I saw white cramy sauce type of seafood meal.   However, this dish is much better compare to what I had with TG (ex BKK) and even SQ.

I also like the way Turkish presented the culinary.  It is very neat and look a bit "high class"  (ok, some may disagree, but you know what I mean), make it very presentable even in economy class!!!

When they served the breakfast, no special tray was delivered.   I was thinking "oh well, it is just a breakfast, may be they onlly serve omelete and hence no seafood meal".   And turned out I was wrong.   When the crew was come to my row, he tried to confirmed my name and he said "this is seafood meal for you".   And this is what Ihad for breakfast




What I should have been taken was the picture of the ommelete broken into two part to show that the omelet was stuffed with salmon.   Again, the taste was very good.

Actually I quite impress with the food served by Turkish Airlines considering that this catering is not from their home base.   This should be either ex-BKK or ex-SGN.



SQ946, SIN-DPS, 14-July-2017,  "Late" Lunch (?)

This is the first time that I got "Asian" style Seafood meal in any airlines.   It is fish fillet with some sauce.   SQ also celebrating 70 years with serving Ete ice cream with "70 years A Great Way to Fly"







GA825, SIN-CGK, 29-April-2018,  Brunch

I requested Seafood meal on this trip.   It was fish fillet with sweet and sour sauce and some veggies.   The presentation is standard GA presentation which is less "glamour" compare to SQ, as it has less appetizer and dessert but the taste is OK.







No comments: